Reasons To Be Cheerful

I figured since I can't sleep I'd put my time to good use and write a blog entry. It was this, or do more internet shopping, and given how much I ordered yesterday that wasn't really an option!
So the reason to be cheerful refers to me by proxy really. I've got a new job being a paid youth worker at No Limits where I currently volunteer. It's the job I've dreampt of since I started volunteering there 4 1/2 years ago, and one I've been turned down for twice before now. A question I get asked over and over from people when I tell them about my new job is "How can you work there? Don't you get sad?". The answer to that question is yes, of course sometimes I get sad, I'd be worried if I didn't. But one comment that was made to me this week sums up perfectly the feeling of why I love this job, why it makes me cheerful.... one young person (who wouldn't mind me saying there have been days when I've begun preparing myself for the idea of attending his funeral) said "Look, I found a white scar today, my first one". That may sound insignificant, or something to not get excited about to some people. But for me, it's one of the best things I could have heard. To see how far he's come in the last twelve months is amazing, he's overcome so much I couldn't begin to find the words to explain it properly.
His words are my answer. His words are my reason to be cheerful, that he's healing physically and emotionally. That is why I love my new job before I've even begun it!

No comments: