Shine On You Crazy Diamond

I went to see Perfect Alibi at The Brook last night. They are a pretty well respected Pink Floyd tribute band, and was the last night that their current front man would be playing with them. I like Pink Floyd; with a best friend for whom to recite their lyrics is as natural as breathing, and a father obsessed with all things prog-rock, there was not much chance of me ever NOT liking them really. Having said that, my knowledge of them is not extensive, I have a few of their albums but it tends to be that I hear them more because of shuffle on my ipod than through picking them to listen to. It is always a lovely treat when one of their tracks comes on - there's a theatrical nature and a feeling of immensity (I'm not sure that's a word...) with pretty much every song they created.
So I was a bit sceptical about how good Perfect Alibi would be, as I tend to be generally a bit dimissive about tribute bands, although I'm trying to let that go! Having spent many drunken and very fun evenings in The Brook though, I jumped at the invite to go see them play there. From the outside it was the same as it always was, but walking in I was totally thrown. It's been refurbished and is light and could almost be described as 'airy'. For anyone who knew it ten years ago, that's really not how you'd describe the entrance way! Walking into the bar area though was like putting on a pair of old jeans: comfy, relaxed, a little worn and loved all the more for that. I won't add here that it was full of middle aged, slightly sweaty men with a lot of hair, because that isn't generally what I associate with my old jeans!
The place was packed and the band played for three hours non-stop. They were brilliant - they've made their careers about paying tribute to one of the most influential, ground-breaking bands ever to grace this earth - and they do so with style, grace, passion and buckets of ability. Watching them play, it was clear how much they love Pink Floyd. There were a few times when it was almost like we were trespassing on a private transcendental moment, they became totally at one with their beloved music.
Perfect Alibi have certainly helped in my journey to stop that voice in my head that mocks tribute bands. And I want to thank them for reminding me how much fun a night out in The Brook is. To The Brook I want to say this: I will be back soon, I've missed my comfy jeans.

No comments: