It's A Nice Day For A White Wedding

My best friend got wed yesterday. I don't know if I can really put into words the range of emotions I felt throughout the course of the day. What I do know is that there is a 'lovely' photo of me in tears that my friend posted on facebook for the world to see: thanks Caz for that! It's a very strange feeling when friends marry, it took me a lot to get my head around Caz marrying five (?) years ago and this one wasn't any easier. I've spent a large amount of my twenties trying to ignore I'm technically an adult; something which is not getting any easier the closer I get to thirty. Watching friends marry is very much a slap in the face of a reminder that we are now adults and not teenagers anymore.
Jenn's been my friend since we were thirteen and passing notes in German about Arran on Byker Grove and how cute he was with his leather necklace - yes, we did even buy ourselves one and call it our Arran Band! This formed a sturdy base to what became a very good friendship in college which has continued through uni and to today. So when she and her lovely lovely husband were stood up there dedicating their lives to each other I was suddenly struck with an image of her in her Arran Band and school uniform, and the tears began for the first time of the day.
Chatting with her mum with tears flowing for I think the fourth time of the day we tried to make sense of the feelings - that everything has changed but everything is still the same. So although I have not lost my best friend (and she's probably berating me for even suggesting this if she's reading it!) I do feel that life has shifted - like the universe has had some kind of realignment over night.
My overwhelming feeling from the day was one of immense proudness - Jenn looked absolutely beautiful and so very happy, content and comfortable. I guess if I had to pick a word to describe Jenn and Chris it would be 'comfortable' - they're fantastic friends which makes them such a good couple. Chris has been part of my life for nine years now too and he's an important friend too, separate from them as a couple. I couldn't be happier or prouder of either of them.
It really was a very nice day for a very great white wedding!

2 comments:

Rama said...

It was a very excellent day!

Ally said...

It really was. Surpised you remember much of it though -
"Last orders at the bar"
"Eight double JD & Coke's then please!"