Sometimes It's Better To Be Second Best

Guess what I did last night? Yep, I continued my quest to become number one groupie for Jet Heeled Striker (a position that it looks like I have some competition for!). This time my journey took me to The Joiners in Southampton. The Joiners has a special place in the hearts of those musically inclined that grew up in and around Southampton. I have it under good authority that it has not altered in the last twenty years, and that's probably one of the great things about it - they're not show biz or image conscious: it's a place where people who love good music and new music and local music have given like minded people a place to access it. It's a place where dreams really have come true, and it's seen some famous people play inside its four walls - the likes of Oasis, Coldplay, The Libertines, We Are Scientists to name just a couple. When Adam told me that they were playing there, it felt like something really special. As brilliant as it is to be accepted to play anywhere when you're starting out and trying to get known, getting to play in The Joiners kind of felt like stepping up a level.
I do have something I need to say about going to watch them play as much as I do. As I've said, I've known Adam from school, and whether he believes me or not, I have always had faith in him and how talented he is, so of course I want to support my friend in his dreams. I'd support him regardless of whether or not I liked the music - maybe not so often but I'd still turn up! The reason I go though is because I genuinely enjoy their music, I love to watch them play and I love to watch them grow into what they're becoming and what they want to be. And last night was a really really good gig. The second song they played rocked the night for me. This will seem like an odd comparison but to me it was like a mix of early Manic Street Preachers and The Deftones. It was the music of my youth (god that makes me sound about one hundred years old). The music that made me realise that I was not the only one who felt the way I did and that other people were not happy to just accept things the way they are. It's the music that made me feel alive for the first time and still has that affect now. When I hear music like their second song it just works for me, it's music that makes sense to me. It's not the glamorous music that attracts the masses, but it's pure and honest and a bit rough around the edges. It's punk in it's attitude if not in it's sound. So the second song may be second best to a lot of people, but to me it's my favourite. Even more than Generation X. Sometimes it IS better to be second best.

No comments: