Rob Em All Naafi, ROB EM ALL (NAAFI)

The final installment in the mixtape trilogy, Rob's mixtape...
I Need You Tonight - Professor Green NICE!!  In theory, I shouldn't like this song, but I can't not like it.  It may not come as a surprise given the track name that this song samples the always fantastic INXS track.  This is enough to sell it to me.  PG himself did sound like a poor mans Eminem though.
White Diamonds - Friendly Fires I really like this track.  It's quite pacey, it's lively and holds my interest.  A well put together number in my opinion.
We Want You - New York Pony Club We're back to my age old issue with female vocalists here.  I think the vocals get a bit drowned by the music that isn't really good enough in my opinion to stand alone without lyrical back-up.  Don't get me wrong, it's not awful.  It's just not my cup of tea.  Also, being a song I'm just not interested in, it does seem to last a really long time!
Catch The Sun - Doves The last time I had anything to do with Doves I was in college and listening to the likes of Soulfly, Slayer, Korn, Marilyn Manson and Sepultura.  Clearly Doves didn't really fit into my musical world at that point.  The question is, do they now?  Simple answer, I think maybe they do.  Which, trust me, isn't an easy thing to admit, and will probably open me up to endless mocking from my indie-loving friends...  This track does exactly what it says on the indie tin: it's jangly, pretty, has harmony bits, soft guitars, and some kind of tambourine.
Make It Wit Chu - Queens Of The Stone Age  Aah, QOTS, a band that doesn't embarrass the metal-head within to admit liking.  Happy days!  It's a classy song, very well produced, and beautifully well executed by Josh Homme et al. 
Crystallised - The XX Oh Rob, you were doing so well there... Really really not my cup of tea, sorry!
Dayvan Cowboy - Boards Of Canada It took a lot of self control to not skip this as it began, but I made a rule that I had to listen to every song all the way through, so I did. 
Hayling - FC Kahuna See above comment.  Just can't get excited by this in the slightest I'm afraid.
Gimme Shelter - The Rolling Stones I love The Rolling Stones.  For me they're far more interesting than The Beatles; their music has an edge and a darkness to it that appeals to me.  Paint It Black is still my favourite ever TRS track, but this may very well be in second place.  Very good mixtape song choice.
Old Man - Neil Young Neil Young is one of a selection of artists that I grew up with.  Not literally.  Man that would have been cool...  So the chances of me not liking this were very slim.  This song sounds musically so simplistic which means you don't get distracted from the lyrics which are as relevant today as they were in 1972 (?).  It's about realising how two people really aren't that different despite the age gap, how they feel the same things and think the same thoughts and need the same needs.
Paper Heart - Turin Brakes Now this was a surprise track for me.  I don't generally have much time for Turin Brakes, but I do actually like this one.  I don't know I could listen to a whole heap of it, but I like this as a stand alone song.
If You Stayed Over - Bonobo Starts off like Disney crossed with Native American peace pipes.  Then seems to go into an oriental vibe before going elsewhere again.  A bit confusing but not necessarily in a bad way.  Glad it's short though, not sure I could cope with a long track!
PS, a bag of haribo for anyone who figures where the blog entry title comes from... :)

4 comments:

rob said...

I can live with that assessment! :)

Ally said...

Yay! I did genuinely really enjoy it as an album, it shall be one I'll be putting in my car :)

rob said...

And you only have to skip the three songs in the middle too!

Ally said...

That was very considerate of you to put them together so I can skip them all at once!