Their Ain't No Motive For This Crime, Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine

This is part two of a three part blog entry... see last entry to explain why...
The critique this time is on Jenn's contribution:
Ready To Start - Arcade Fire My first thought was along the lines of 'seriously? I have to listen to this again??' but by the end of it I've come to the conclusion that it's a grower of a song, and maybe (just maybe) I'd like to be able to sing along to it. (so apologies Omar, for being very critical of it on yours)
Bloodbuzz Ohio - The National The singers voice reminded me of Nick Cave, which is always going to be a good thing in my book.  The song is unusual, it captured my interest from the start, and I loved the contrast between the jangly music and the bleakness of his voice.  I was sad it ended.
Ambling Alp - Yeasayer It made my feet dance!  I like it, it's cheery and electronica and the wobbly voice reminded me of Robin Gibb on 'I Started A Joke'.
Walk Tall - Kele This track has a military vibe which is fresh and modern, but not modern in a crappy way that so much music that saturates commercial radio.  I think long term it's the kind of song I'll end up totally loving or getting totally annoyed with.
Cold War - Janelle Monae I've heard a bit of this song on Jenn's blog before and switched it off because I really really didn't like what I heard.  Turns out it gets worse though!  I will very highly likely be skipping this track in the future.
The Lines - Battles It was at this point in the mixtape that I began to despair!  I'd really been enjoying the choices much more than I'd expected (sorry Jenn, you know that's not a dig, it's just our very different views on what's good musically - we tend to either agree 100% or be polar opposites).  Enough said.
My Love - Sia Very promising start, beautiful piece of piano composition.  Overall pretty good but would have much preferred it if it were a male singer.
Good Arms vs Bad Arms - Frightened Rabbit At this point, I began to relax again, this song I like, in fact I like it enough to type 'ooh' as I was listening to it.  Only one annoying point with it, which is that the singer's voice reminds me very much of someone but I can't place who!
Doubtful Comforts - Blue Roses I've never liked female singers.  The only one's I've ever had much time for have been Amy Echo, Gwen Stefani, Tobey Torres, Brody Dalle and Tarrie B.  So this surprised me.  It's gorgeous, completely and utterly gorgeous.  However, it did nearly lose me with the chorally bit kicking in around 2 minutes...
Bust On The Ground - Bombay Bicycle Club I don't have anything to say on this one really. Wasn't bad, certainly wasn't great.  Left me very much indifferent to it.
Last Song - Clogs  I was a bit sorry the singing kicked in on this because the music was enough on it's own really.  I want to listen to it again, and to be able to listen to it in the dark with nothing and nobody interrupting it.  Because I feel like it deserves that attention.
Next installment comes from the music of Rob...

No comments: