• Bisexual's are lucky
  • Bisexual's are greedy (a.k.a. shagging anyone & everyone)
  • Bisexual's can't make up their minds
  • Bisexual's can't do monogamy
Just a couple of the misconceptions I regularly come across as a bisexual.  I'm not lucky, I'm not greedy or shagging around, I do know my own mind and I can do monogamy.  These misconceptions don't upset me as a person, but upset me in terms of how damaging and misleading they are.  In fact, I've been known to often say something along the lines of being lucky and getting a bigger pool of people to pick from - but that tends to be a defence mechanism, I'll get in there first.

In actual fact, being bisexual isn't easy.  There are gay support groups, gay bars and gay clubs.  Gay communities exist with all the support networks, customs, norms and values that come with them which combine to give a sense of gay identity.

For straight people, well most of the world is a heterosexual society that gives a sense of belonging.  Straight pubs are everywhere as are straight clubs and straight cafe's.  Society is generally set up as a straight society - it's a given that you are attracted to the opposite gender.

There are no bisexual pubs, clubs, bars, cafes or communities.  You feel a fraud in the gay community - like you're not accepted as a fully signed up member because the chances are you could end up in a relationship with someone of the opposite gender.  Maybe it's time to own this - I feel a fraud in the gay community (etc)...  Equally I feel like I don't fit in the straight community - I feel like I'm ignoring part of who I am, denying myself the opportunity to find love (or whatever) with someone who is my gender.  

For some time I've felt a pressure to pick which side I'm batting for (so to speak).  To either become fully immersed in identifying with the lady loving part of me, or to go with what is probably the easier of the two and 'straighten' up.  For a bisexual though it's just not that simple.  The gender is irrelevant, it's not about liking men or women, it's about liking people.  Not just that though, being bisexual is not a passing phase or a transition to being gay, or denying being gay.  It's being bisexual.  It's a pretty isolated world, and is overlooked and misunderstood.
  • Bisexual's are bisexual (that's all the list you need)      

No comments: