Today a good thing happened.  My boss popped into work and effectively (and unknowingly) offered me my dream job.  I have found increasingly that my passion in youth work lies within sexuality and gender issues (and mental health - but then, from my experience the former is rarely found without the latter), and have been devising a plan to create myself a role in this area within the agency.
So anyway, there is a service in Southampton called Breakout that works with 13 - 21 year olds who are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, transsexual, queer and unsure that is run by the city council.  Along with massive chunks of the youth service, the funding for this project has been chopped.  Luckily though, our management have taken it on and have secured it for another year (which gives us time to put together funding bids etc to be able to continue the service into the future).
Part of this includes running a supportive group on Tuesday evenings, which my boss has asked for me to take responsibility for.  I literally couldn't be more excited at the moment.  It's going to take lots of juggling and restructuring of my week because I already don't have enough time to do what I'm meant to be doing.  But I can't walk away from this - I'm being offered EXACTLY what I want to be doing, so I WILL make it work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant news! What a great opportunity :)

x