How are you?
I seem to be being asked this a lot recently, and other than maybe one or two exceptions, I really don't think any reply is expected or wanted other than 'yeah, I'm good thanks'.  I don't know what stops me answering the question truthfully - I could blame societal guidelines, but I think it's more than that.
Despite all my training, my work, and my personal therapy, I still find it a weakness to admit that I'm struggling, that I'm less than okay.  I live in fear that if I say it at work then it'll be assumed I'm not competent or capable of doing my job and will be fired.  I also struggle to see myself as worth spending time on me when I'm with other people.
I've just been out to dinner with 3 good friends who I've known for eight years now - two of them I've been on holiday twice with.  Yet I didn't answer the question truthfully.
So here it is: I'm exhausted, I've been in tears every day this week, I feel constantly sick from anxiety and pressure & I feel totally stuck in this place.

No comments: