Today was the end of another chapter.  My Mum has almost completed on the sale of my Gran's bungalow, so it was today I went up with my parents and my sister and said 'goodbye'.  I didn't want to go, but needed to - I never visited my Dad's parents home after the immediate aftermath of my Grandma's funeral and in some ways that's always bothered me.

I guess today wasn't so much about the sale of Duffryn, but more about the finality of my grandparents chapter in my life.  I always felt much more attached to my Mums roots than my Dads - I've written about that before.  But I miss having a reason to go back to the Forest Of Dean, and now I've lost my last reason to go back to Pontnewydd...  I feel like calling those places home now feels fraudulent somehow...

Hard as it was, I'm glad I went today.  A friend told me to soak it all in one last time and then I can go back there any time in my memory, so that's exactly what I did.  The bricks and mortar may belong to someone else in just a few short weeks, but the memories - they'll always be mine & in that sense, there's nothing fraudulent in calling it home.

No comments: