I Love You

They're such small insignificant words by themselves, yet put together and they have the power to destroy people. By people (and in the spirit of me trying to tell the truth) I mean me. I had a conversation with someone last night who said something about love and relationships that was so honest and simple it made me cry. It wasn't a fancy hallmark comment filled with slush that's garunteed to make you feel unworthy if you're alone on Valentines Day. Or that Hollywood romance that is so idealised and over the top that it surprises me daily how anybody finds happiness in love because nothing can ever measure up to that image on the big screen. It's about the basics. For me it's about having someone to curl up with on the sofa. Or to play unconsciously with my hair. Or to hold my hand during a scary movie. I'm a poet. I have work published. But I've never been able to write a poem that encapsulates what is for me the real meaning of love. All the words I've put together and agonised over to try and write the perfect poem. Yet this friend floors me with half a dozen words which are just so raw and true that it topped anything I have ever been able to write. Who ever is lucky enough to end up with them really will know what love is in it's truest form. They will be the luckiest people in the world.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just find it sad that people buy into all that, that romance exists on certain days of the year and is directly proportional to the amount you spend. It should be about the thought, things that show you care and are thinking about them.

(though that last couple of sentences, argghhhhhhh - you know?!)