Lost Love

Do you think there is one perfect person out there for you? And if so, does it follow that you are the perfect person for them too? It's hard not to say Yes to both those questions, because that's what a girl is brought up to expect. How can we think anything else is going to happen when our developing minds are being saturated with images of tall, dark and handsome Princes coming to save us from a life of pain and suffering at the hands of our sisters, or eternal sleep?! I found my Prince seven years ago. Only instead of tall, dark and handsome he was kinda short and Welsh. He promised me the world. He made me feel safe. He made me believe I would never feel loneliness again. If you've ever read Sense And Sensibility there is a bit when Eleanor and Marianne are talking about Mr Willoughby when he had just broken Marianne's heart. This is how it goes:
Eleanor:Did he tell you that he loved you?
Marianne: Yes! No, no... it was everyday implied, but never declared. Sometimes I thought it had, but it never was.. he has broken no vow.
Eleanor: Broken no vow?! He made us all believe he loved you!
Marianne: He did, he did! He loved me as I loved him!
That sums our relationship up really. Anyone who knew us would tell you that we loved eachother. Trouble is, like Willoughby, he never really declared it absolutely. Then I wonder what right I have to really feel the pain of loss of something that was never really 100% mine to begin with.
For the most part I've made my peace with it now. It's been a year since I've spoken to him and that contact was because he and his girlfriend had split up (I know). He was in my dream last night. It was a variation of a similar theme. I bump into him on a night out in Cardiff. He ignores me for a while then hugs me with such depth and emotion I feel like I'm going to drown in him. At the same time though the feeling is exquisite, almost transcendental. Nobody has come close to having the kind of affect on me that he had (and does still have in my dreams). Which leads me back to my questions, is there one perfect person? and if so, does it follow that you are the perfect one for them too?
Im my experience my answer would be yes then no. If I am right here though, does that mean there is no point in trying to find someone else to spend your life with when you know that they'll never quite be the person who makes you complete?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'll go with no first. Then, if they are one of the perfect people then of course you are. As I see it, perfect works both ways.

I'm reminded of the MJ Cole lyrics - "Some say love unreturned ain't nothing but an obsession".